Tuesday, July 5, 2016






 WEEK 53 SAN RAFAEL  2nd Ward-

Family and Friends,

With the July 4th Weekend upon us, I would be making myself out to be
something I'm not, in trying to act like a "tough guy" and tell you
that I'm not missing home too much. Holidays are hard. Missions are
hard. This week was hard. From tired feet, a tired mind, and a tired
heart - it's seemingly apparent to conclude we had an emotional week
full of, well - missionary work. At the beginning of my mission, it
was so foreign to me to come home each night and quite literally feel
like I wanted to throw myself on my bed and not wake up for the next
week and a half. It has become such a well-ordered standard on this
journey that I guess you could say it just feels--in some
sorts--normal.

The weather this week almost seemed a bit unbearable. The humidity,
denseness, and constant beating down of the sun left for some pretty
good tan lines and some pretty sweaty backs. It all felt too familiar
and reminded me of when I had the privilege of serving in Fairfield
and being in their neck of the woods, walking in 113 degree heat. No
matter the heat, the circumstances, or successfulness of our work, our
zone decided to hold a Blitz for the Sisters area. We walked, and
knocked--what seemed to be--a couple miles worth of streets in
Northern San Rafael. Graciously, The Lord led us to an apartment
complex to which we found a family with their door and windows wide
open trying to get some sort of ventilation due to the fact that they
didn't have any air conditioning. Elder Kimber and I had a pretty
lengthy conversation with them in Spanish and they invited us to come
back to teach them. Hopefully this turns into something good for the
Sisters!

Wednesday evening, we took the twenty five minute drive up to the
Espocito home for a "drop-by" appointment and as seemingly odd as it
was, they weren't there. No answer at the door, no cars outside the
house, nothing. Nada. Having a member in our Ward with us to come upon
an empty house after just having fought through the ridiculous amounts
of California traffic to attend this lesson was ridiculously
embarrassing. Contrary to how I normally would've responded to the
situation, I asked that the three of us might join together in a quick
prayer before we headed back towards home. Seconds after closing our
prayer, we turned our heads to the rumblin' and grumblin' sounds of an
old 1993 Chevy Caravan toiling down the road heading directly towards
us. An hour later, we found ourselves walking out of the Esposito home
high-fiving and grinning from ear to ear as we just substantially, by
a long shot, and easily had the most productive lesson we ever have
taught them. Prayer works.

Elder Cawley and I were asked to teach a segment in District Meeting
this past Tuesday regarding "Setting Goals" for the upcoming transfer.
Prayerfully, we outlined and presented some attainable goals for our
fellow missionaries in the district. We talked a lot about trying to
support and help eachother in all phases of missionary work. This was
a blessing to our companionship and district as now our conversations
have been turned from - "What're we doing this upcoming P-Day"? to
"How's your investigator Javier doing"? This was so cool to see in
such a short amount of time the missionaries genuinely caring for one
another's areas. Missionary Work is cool.

First Sunday of the month and Fast Sundays are always a bittersweet
type of day. For as much as I love eating, sacrificing a meal can be
hard. Nonetheless, testimony meeting was wonderful as our investigator
Tarun stood up in front of our whole congregation and bore such a
powerful testimony. He told about his conversion story and mentioned a
couple significant events in which led him to knowing that this was
the only true and living church on the earth. As he bore his testimony
I began to feel so grateful that The Lord has given us something so
marvelous. So grand. So rewarding. Tarun was filled with the spirit
the whole rest of the day and he kept telling us how awesome it felt
to have born testimony of the Saviour and His Gospel. A couple times
he even asked about when he could serve a mission. Conversion to The
Gospel is advantageous to all who seek righteousness and truth. I know
this.

Amongst all the delightful events that transpired this week and the
random events that I just shared with you, there were many more tender
mercies Heavenly Father gave us. I wish I had the time to share all of
them with you, but there will be a special time in which we can talk
about all of these things within the not-so-distant future. Words
wouldn't do justice in explaining the amount of genuine love I have
for serving The Lord. I'm not perfect. In no way am I the most
qualified missionary in the world. But I do have a burning and
unquenchable desire to do better each day. To be better each day. And
more importantly - to seek Him more each day.

I'm grateful for another year. I can't believe how far things have
come and all that has happened. I'll forever hold these experiences
near to my heart. This is the greatest thing that has ever happened to
me and I will always be honored to wear this name tag. This is my joy.
This is my love. This is my happy.

I'll see you soon. Enjoy your Fourth. GodSpeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment