Tuesday, March 8, 2016



WEEK 36 Rohnert Park 3rd Ward/Rohnert Park Spanish Branch-  

Family and Friends,

Another week, comes and goes - just. like. that. What an amazing week
this was. An emotional roller coaster filled with twists, turns, and
big ol' loopdie-loos. We were absolutely slammed with work this past
week and it seemed that only about 13% of it actually worked out. No,
that's not a correct percentage but that's kinda what it felt like. We
got canceled on a whole ton. We didn't have any investigators or less
active members show up to church. To add on top of it all, the Spanish
Branch has recently been dealing with a whole lotta pointless drama.
But, regardless of all this other "87%" that went completely wrong, I
think the 13% certainly made up for it. Quite funny how that works
sometimes. Aren't we always living and waiting for those defining
moments in life that make all the bad days worth it? Here's my 13% of
the week:

While at a church activity a couple nights ago, a family of Columbian
people wandered into our building. We quickly greeted them and asked
if we could help in any way. Very humbly and graciously they explained
to my companions (who actually understood what they were saying) that
they were looking for "la clasè de Ingles." Apparently they heard
about some LDS churches offering English Classes to those that were
seeking for it. As missionaries, we jumped on this opportunity and
told them that we'd be more than happy to help. Fortunately we're now
teaching them in English, and I can help in some sort of way. We plan
to start mixing in The Gospel into some of our lessons as it is a
prime time to teach these people. I know that Heavenly Father placed
this sweet family in our path and has provided opportunities for us to
teach them. Coincidence that I'm with now serving with two Spanish
companions? I think not.

As it was the first Thursday of the month (this past week), we had
another successful "Splits-Blitz" event. With us being in
congregations of both the Spanish Branch and the Rohnert Park 3rd
Ward, this night of splits has been advertised to almost the whole
Rohnert Park area. We had a ton of people show up for this and people
absolutely ate it up. The Spanish members were due to much of our
success, but I couldn't have been more genuinely happy to see this
event continually growing.

We've received large amounts of rain the last while and it's caused
some wrinkles in our visits with Diane. She doesn't like us coming
into her home because she's self conscious about it. But thankfully,
with weather permitting circumstances, we stopped in for a quick visit
at Diane's home. We had a good ol' long talk with her. Diane was
expressing to us her great concerns and feelings of really needing to
wait on her baptism. She has been stressed out with a lot on her plate
and her nephew is currently going through multiple rounds of
chemotherapy. It's taken a toll on her family, but mostly Diane, as
she is the main care giver. After hearing about all of this, we made
an effort to envelop her with the most love and care that we could
give. In coming to a conclusion for what would be best for Diane, she
asked that we often times check in on her and make quick "drop bys" to
share short spiritual messages of encouragement. She's ready. She
knows it. It's only a matter of time.

We did a little bit more Less-Active member work this week. Our
lessons were wonderful and it seemed that we might've sparked a little
flame of re-activation, but our hopes and dreams came to a quick halt
when none of them decided to show for church. But that's okay. It just
means more visits for us this week.

One of my most favorite things that has happened thus far out on my
mission happened on Saturday Night. It was sort of unexpected, but
President and Sister Wright invited us missionaries (my companions and
I) over for dinner at their home. We got to drive down to the mission
home in Santa Rosa and eat with their family. It was seriously so much
fun! They cooked some of the best food I've ever had, and they were
such a joy to be around. Elder Torres, Elder Perez and I had prepared
a little game and spiritual message to leave with them upon finishing
our meal. It ended up being probably one of the best dinner messages
I've ever been a part of. The spirit in that home was undeniably
strong. I was so appreciative to have even been invited into their
home to eat dinner, but I was even more so grateful for the worthiness
that President and Sister Wright uphold to have such a sweet spirit
radiating from their very being. I love my Mission President and his
wife.

Might I just add that I love my mission. I love my Heavenly Father. I
love my life. I don't want to be anywhere else other than where I'm at
right now. This church is true. I know it. I live it. I love it.

I love you all. I'll see you soon. GodSpeed.

-Elder Schaefer

No comments:

Post a Comment