Monday, September 21, 2015





WEEK 12- Fairfield 2nd Ward
 
Family and Friends, 

Here we are entering Week 12. It's kind of felt like an eternity, but I'm holding up alright. Yesterday marked me being out on the mission for an official 75 DAYS. I am almost 1/7 of the way done with my mission. That seems sooo weird to me. Although it's been good to know how far I've come, I try not to think about it a lot. A piece of advice that I was given from a person (whom I have the upmost respect for) once told me to think of it this way... "We are currently on The Lord's errand and we are serving a MISSION, not merely serving TIME." This has given me a whole new perspective on what I'm out here to do. I've learned that it's not always about how long I've served my mission. It's not about how much longer I have until I go home, but rather HOW I served my mission. How many lives did I change while I was out here? Did I truly devote my efforts and give everything I had while being out for these two years? That's what I'm now focusing on. I'm not out here to serve a period of time - I'm out here to serve a mission. 

As far as the work goes... It was very scarce this week. We didn't have much of it, which was again frustrating. We tried tracking & finding people for hours which was very ineffective. So, without there being work... We resorted to doing a ton of service. One of our Service Projects consisted of participating in the Suisun City Coast & Creek Cleanup Event. Yes, the name sounds more glorious than the actual event. We were literally the only 8 people there. They sent us out to a field about 12 acres long with trash bags and gloves. We were out there for 4 hours in 103 degree heat picking up trash. Little did I know, this field would be INFESTED with Mosquitos, so I walked away with 14 MORE mosquito bites and a really bad sunburn. My skin hurts. Hahahha, but it's alright. Later that day we went to a nearby park and our District Leader bought sidewalk chalk for us to draw on the sidewalk. As a zone, we drew the whole Plan of Salvation and described it to those who walked by to see our artwork. Admittedly, the drawings weren't the prettiest, but we picked up a family of investigators that the Sister Missionaries are now teaching. I guess being out in the heat was a blessing. 

Elder Achal & I have been fed the wackiest, yet yummiest food this past week. We've had everything from French Fries drenched in Gravy, to Phillipino cuisine, to an Italian Pasta drenched in pepperoni grease. I am now able to better understand how missionaries come home 40 pounds heavier than they did before coming out in the field. You really have gotta watch what you eat because over time it just packs on pounds to the waste and hips area. Hahaha luckily I haven't had that problem, but if I keep getting fed like this - we might have a problem. :)

BUT! I just remembered. Our members are so awesome. The Elder family in our ward... (Yes, their last name is Elder) has a daughter that's on the color guard for the local High School. One of Elizabeth's friends has been coming to early morning seminary, church, and young women's with her. Elizabeth's friends name is Morgan and she plans to get baptized sometime within October. We've been teaching her the lessons every Wednesday and she's been doing SO WELL. She's about 16 years old, and we just got permission from her mom to baptize her. Assuming everything goes as planned, we will baptize her in a couple weeks. Pray for her, please! We really could use it. This is looking to be a promising investigator that really wants to become a member. We have been working our best on helping her progress and get ready for an eventual baptismal date. This is gonna happen. I promise. ;) I've got a good feeling about it.

This is really all the news I've got this week. Sorry, folks. Hopefully there will be more next week. Pray for blessings and people for us to find, please. We'd really appreciate it. I love you all so much & wish you all the best. 

I'll see you soooooooooon. Not much longer. GodSpeed.

-Elder Schaefer

No comments:

Post a Comment